Notice to Readers...

We appreciate your feedback! If you try any of the recipes we post. Let us know what you think of them. What is your story? How did you change it to make your family happy? We love to hear what you think!

January 13, 2009

Grandma's Enchilada's & homemade chips

sorry for the color, my camera was being weird & we have terrible lighting in the kitchen.
I learned this recipe from my mom, who learned it from her mom!
Grandma's Easy Enchilada's
(I add the "easy" part in, because there's no rolling involved here)
There's no actual written recipe here, so I'm just guesstimating as I go ;)
3 lg. cans (15 oz.) or 6 sm. (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
1/2 sm. can El Pato Sauce
1 lb. hamburger
2 c. water
1/2 c. salsa
corn tortillas
Mrs. Dash (or any other hamburger seasoning)
Preheat oven to 450°. Add tomato sauce, el pato sauce (which can be found near the refried beans & other enchilada sauces), water & salsa into a large pot & bring to a simmer. Let this simmer while you cook the hamburger, season to taste. Then add to sauce. Once the sauce has been simmering for at least 30 min. total you can start putting the casserole together. In a 9x13 baking dish layer tortilla's (cut into 1/4), sauce, then cheese & continue this until the dish is almost full (leave about 3/4" from the top). Bake for 20 min. at 450°.
While my enchilada's are baking I make Homemade tortilla chips's to go with them. My family loves these! These are so simple, but just take a little time!
Cut tortilla's into quarters. Heat oil in a skillet on med. high. When the oil is hot place the tortilla pieces in the hot oil & cook them until they are crispy. I place mine in a large bowl with paper towels in the bottom to soak up the grease. As soon as you add more tortilla's in the pan salt the ones you just took out! You can also make these in a deep fryer, but don't ask me how because I don't own one & have never used one, but I know my sisters have made them this way before. I like to make some of the chips a little crispier & some not as much because different family members like them different ways & it's easy to accommodate! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Love to hear from you. Please feel free to comment on any post!