Notice to Readers...

We appreciate your feedback! If you try any of the recipes we post. Let us know what you think of them. What is your story? How did you change it to make your family happy? We love to hear what you think!

January 26, 2009

Fry Bread/Navajo Taco's


This is another of my family's favorite recipes! I love it when the kids come & ask me what I'm making for dinner & when I tell them they get excited. So here's the recipe for this yummy dinner/dessert! I got this recipe from a recipe book that several ladies from church put together. This one comes from my friend Nalene Dobbins.
Fry bread
4 c. flour
1-1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 T. sugar
1 T. shortening
1 T. (or 1 pkg.) yeast
1/4 c. warm water
1-1/2 c. scalded milk
Scald milk, then allow it to cool to lukewarm. Combine water, sugar and yeast. Set aside. Combine milk, shortening, salt, baking powder and 1/2 of the flour. Add the yeast mixture and mix well. Add the remaining flour. Knead 20 times. Let dough rest for 10 min. Roll dough 1/4 in. thick and cut into squares. Fry in a hot oil at 365°. This recipe makes about 12-15 small to medium size pieces.
Hints:
I scald my milk in the microwave. Measure the correct amount, then put it in the microwave for 3 min. Then I put it in the freezer to cool to lukewarm. While I'm waiting for the milk to cool, I begin to mix the other ingredients as the recipe says to do. I periodically check on the milk so it doesn't get too cool. This is the way I've done this many times & it works for me so hopefully it will for everyone else as well.
I don't roll my dough out this way, I seperate them into balls & roll them out individually. The size just depends on how large of a piece you want. I generally make mine a little smaller since I have some small children that don't eat much. Then the older kids can have 2 or 3 if they want more.
Also, we eat this for dinner with beans, cheese, lettuce & tomatos. You can add salsa & any other toppings you may like. You can also eat it plain with just butter or as a dessert with butter & powdered sugar or honey. Yum Yum, enjoy!
Rachelle S.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Love to hear from you. Please feel free to comment on any post!