Notice to Readers...

We appreciate your feedback! If you try any of the recipes we post. Let us know what you think of them. What is your story? How did you change it to make your family happy? We love to hear what you think!

November 23, 2008

"Candied Yams"

I'm on the Activities Committee for my church and we are having a Christmas Dinner on December 6th. I voluntered to find out pricing on yams, Chocolate/Banana Cream Pies and also Print out Recipes for myself and 11 others to make Candied Yams. They expect 200-300 people to be there so I thought why not take a test run on the yams - Considering I've never made them before. Sis B wanted something simple and not to overpowering. So I whipped some up tonight with a Very Simple Recipe and they turned out quite good I thought.

"CANDIED YAMS"
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients:
1 - 40oz can Yams
1 – 29oz can Yams
¼ cup Butter
½ cup brown sugar
½ Bag Mini Marshmallows (4 ½ cups)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350*
Drain Yams and pour into an 8x13 Casserole Dish. Spread evenly in dish. Sprinkle brown sugar over yams and mash into the yams. Cut butter into small cubes and dot over the yams.
Bake for 2-3 minutes for butter to melt. Take out and mash butter into yams. Cover the top of yams with all the marshmallows until yams barley peek out. Bake for 20 minutes at 350* - Marshmallows should be brown and yams should be bubbly.

Only Do Instructions Below If Necessary
Some ovens won’t brown the marshmallows –if this is the case – turn the temperature down to 250* and Turn to Broil and cook for 1-3 minutes – Take out as soon as you see them browning – Its real easy for them to burn on Broil so watch carefully!

4 comments:

  1. Hello, great blog! I have a broken oven and too many sweet potatoes from our farm's harvest.. How can I make candied mashed sweet potatoes in a crock pot or slow cooker? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda,
    Thanx for stopping by. I've never made yams in my crock pot, but might be fun to try. You can heat the Yams up in the crock pot no problem and the marshmallows Might melt, but wont give you that crispy effect, unless you have something to melt the marshmallows, it would be hard to make them that way. If you have a blow torch or there is a tool my sister has that she uses for scrapbooking, that could possibly work, its called a Heat Embossing Tool (Heat Gun). I'm not sure about a blow dryer, i think it would melt them but not give you that crispy effect.
    Wish I could be of more help, sorry!
    MarQuette

    ReplyDelete
  3. umm.. can i make it with natural yams . not can?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure, In fact they would probably be even better with Fresh Yams!

    ReplyDelete

We Love to hear from you. Please feel free to comment on any post!